Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Lumbersexuals and other beards

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I enjoy beautifully curated facial hair.

This started as a slight (humorous) obsession with mustaches before I left San Diego (where I threw a Mustache Masquerade and Hipster Farewell Party). The amount of mustache-related items I owned at one time was slightly astounding. Quite a bit of it has dissipated over the years; given away as gifts to others or simply lost in the sands of time...but there are still traces of it in my current home.

So when Somerset House released a photographic exhibit on beards, I was game. I'd seen a few articles talking about it before arrived, and suddenly it was available on my yPlan app. Free exhibit on beards? Absolutely.

Beards. In all their glory.

I took a new friend and we checked it out. Not disappointing.


Gorgeous men with beards. All sorts of beauty.


I noticed mostly their piercing eyes, rich hair color, great style. Nadia, my classmate, only saw the strength of their eyebrows. Apparently she won't date anyone who doesn't have strong, expressive eyebrows. Eyebrows are the window to the soul for her. Hilarious.


And though this exhibit really did bring out a bearded crowd, it is also supposed to promote regular skin checks. Guess someone with a beard still has the same chances of contracting skin cancer as other clean-shaven folk, but it would be infinitely harder to spot under your well-groomed facial follicles. Something to consider.




Notice the black and white photo on the bottom row, second from the right. This is the famous bearded woman, Harnaam Kaur. She has an interesting story about her beard, as it was necessary to keep it natural once she was baptized as a sikh. You can find her and other stories here.

All in all a successful exhibit, one that I heartily wanted to support. Unfortunately their gift shop was closed for filming (Ugh, these movie filmings around town really put a damper on things! Just kidding ^_^). Will need to go back and fulfill my dreams of owning things with beards (the next evolution from owning things with mustaches).

There are so many exhibits I want to tell you about, but that will have to wait until a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment