Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Second grad school tour: UCL

This tour, I'm happy to say, went much smoother. The appointment itself was later in the day (a rather excellent 4:30pm) and the campus is a very convenient 20 minutes away from my office on a single tube line. No transfers. It's also situated right in the center of the city, so very easy to get to from just about anywhere, including my house (would be maybe 35 minutes from my apartment).

As I leisurely walked to the building I was to meet Adam at, I looked at the campus. It looked and felt like a university campus - or at least how I imagined university campuses looking like, since my undergraduate university didn't really look like a typical college. This one had gorgeously academic-looking buildings and even an old English chapel amongst the normal city buildings and roads. A university literally built into the city. It was beautiful. I could see students walking everywhere as well, despite the fact that term wasn't in session. I walked past student housing (where apparently students were still living) and saw young people approximately my age (give or take 10 years in both directions) and felt...well, like I could easily be mistaken as one of them.

It didn't take me too long to find the building I was meeting Adam at: 26 Bedford Way, otherwise known as the Center of Languages and International Education.


Hilariously this building was also being renovated during the summer months, though not to the extent that Goldsmiths' buildings were. It seemed pretty small scale but somehow manageable. I still got a good idea of what the building was like and what being a student there would be like.

Adam and I had a long discussion about the major and related topics. UCL has a very clearly laid out plan for part-time students (at least half or so of the students admitted are part-time and this is strongly encouraged) and they are very interested in people coming from different backgrounds. So interested in diversity that last year they had students from computer science, cognitive science, neuroscience, and even history of drama enter their department (the major is on decision sciences). Fantastic. He and the department founder were very interested in my academic and professional background and the fact that my company was interested in having me further my education; seems I would be a good candidate. Also the fact that I'm an international student seems to bring a different perspective. Whoo, difference making a difference.

After a quick look around the department and a discussion about what admission would be like, I parted ways and felt rather elated. I could definitely see myself being a student here, wandering the halls and doing homework. So this is what it felt like. It just felt right.

So I'll be submitting my application here in another few months. Watch out UCL, you've got an application coming your way.

It's real, and it's happening. tSH is planning to go back to school. Fall 2014-2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment