Monday, June 24, 2013

Fashion plundering and blundering

So what did I do for the rest of the bank holiday weekend? A surprising amount of laying on my sofa and watching Boardwalk Empire, my new favorite show. This is something that I've noticed happens with shocking regularity whenever I find myself with alone time and not a lot of plans. I've been back in London for about two and a half weeks with no travel plans and I have no idea what to do with myself. I have flipped through the British guidebook my parents bought for me as a housewarming gift and nothing really comes to mind. I kind of want to see a few things but alas, everything takes a solid 45 minutes to get to. So...I get lazy. And laying on your couch is such a luxury sometimes. It really is.

Anyway, on Monday I did finally find the motivation to roll off my sofa and get out of the house. I was already going to be meeting Sweets and then later the rest of the gang (Specs, Spaz) so there was reason to get out anyway. I decided I would treat myself to some shopping in Shepherd's Bush as there were some things still on my list that I hadn't fulfilled: a proper carry on bag for weekend trips (I planned to start my weekend excursions with German K and Hong Kong P again soon), a new bathing suit as the summer was supposedly coming at some point in time and all of mine were ancient (plus I'd started swimming at the gym though this is a very secondary reason), and a few other items of clothing that were missing from my otherwise decently small closet. So there you have it, a few items on my mission list.

I went, feeling good about myself because of the surprisingly sunny (though still windy) weather, and dressed to the nines. I felt I would go out with panache and show the world that I was ready to face it - Don had been beating me down a lot lately and I was ready to fight back.

Shopping was going good until I stepped into Banana Republic. What I saw in there stopped me cold.

I...

...matched with everything in their entire summer line.

...I was mortified.



My white jeans, cork wedges, striped tank, blue cardigan, straw purse...everything about it screamed their entire summer line. I didn't have the courage to take a picture of their real line (so I've taken a photo of their petites section, which was a little less matching and therefore less offensive).

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Since when did I start being fashionable enough to match with a store's summer line? The strangest part of all: none of the clothes I was wearing were from BR. None of them. And yet...everything matched perfectly. What the heck is going on?

After I browsed the last remaining stores I had on my list I went home and changed.

Okay Don, you win this time. I was unprepared for that. I'll be ready next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment