Landing here has been a whirlwind of activity...which is not hard to believe once you realize that my schedule went something like this:
Friday - Finnish farewell party - say goodbye to all of the wonderful people I had met during my 11 months in Finland
Saturday - goodbye night out with my girls and visiting all of our favorite spots
Sunday - getting my things ready in Oksa for the movers on Monday
Monday - moving day - all of my things are removed and taken away...I clean the apartment and check out
Tuesday - full day at work, final farewell dinner at Finnish French F's restaurant, then stay the night at German K's place
Wednesday - work half day, fly to London, check into temporary apartment, figure out how to get to work and where nearest grocery stores are
Thursday - full day back at work at the new London offices
Friday - full day back at work at the new London offices
Saturday - first apartment viewing and wandering around Ealing and other neighborhoods I am interested in checking out
Sunday - delicious breakfast then walking around Shepherd's Bush and other neighborhoods I am interested in checking out
Monday - back to work and another apartment viewing
...I think you can see where this is going.
As they say, no rest for the wicked.
It's been nonstop since I got here, not even real time to realize that I've actually left Helsinki, despite all my previous posts.
I will say though, my first impressions of Don: rude, loud, dirty, and crowded.
Some fabulous examples of what I mean:
- Despite pedestrians having the right of way, drivers feel the need to speed up while turning corners, honk at you, and scare the death out of you. WTF.
- All of the underground lines in the world seem to be under maintenance and having delays. Going to places takes forever.
- It is surprisingly cold here (it's been snowing on and off since I arrived, despite snow being a rarity here in the city). WTH. O_O
- The journey planner for public transit is awful. Surprisingly difficult to use. (This is where the UX design nerd in me just gets angry).
- Where is the recycling? No recycling in the temporary apartment I live in. At least there is proper recycling in the building I work in.
- Food is surprisingly cheap here, but somehow I find it unfulfilling. Perhaps Finn has ruined me in this way.
Okay Don, I'm waiting for you to impress me.