Thursday, December 20, 2012

The real snows of Helsinki

So I had my little visit home to the States for Thanksgiving and flew back to Finland to be greeted by...

...massive amounts of snow.

Apparently in my absence they'd had the blizzard to end all blizzards. Over the course of maybe 2-3 days they had more snow than people had experienced in a long time. The entire city was not only blanketed, it was piled high. Mountains of the stuff was everywhere. Confusingly so.

I watched from Facebook as people posted pictures of fresh powder plus talked about freezing temperatures of -12C. This is incomprehensible to someone who is sitting in +15C.

So when I finally landed at night in Helsinki, it wasn't that I was shocked, it was that I was literally, and figuratively, blown away. There was a pile of snow in front of my apartment windows. If I opened them, snow would fall in.

"What? This isn't how I left this."

And the funny thing was, I was going to love it and leave it in less than 30 hours.

And that's exactly what I did.

Little did I know I would be leaving it for eternally colder climates, but that was not to be known until much later (well, not that much later).

So, with my tiny stopover in Helsinki (just enough to work from home and unpack/pack another suitcase plus throw some laundry onto the drying racks), I stepped out into the snow again and set off.

WT, on the move.


No comments:

Post a Comment