Monday, December 17, 2012

Dear Finn

As some of you may know, when I left San Diego I gave the city a persona, so as to better address it as a whole and the experiences I'd had with it. It was like a boyfriend that I'd had a long and lustrous relationship with, but alas, it wasn't working out and I'd decided it was time to leave. The name of this boyfriend? Randy Ego (say it outloud with "Ego" sounding like "eggo" and you'll get it).

When I came to Finland I started dating a new city, Finn. Finn Landia. We've been dating about a year now and things have had their ups and downs. I've learned his mysterious and silent ways and tried to unlock the secrets behind every blank and unemotive look I've been given. Mostly I've taken this in stride, but alas, I must say, overall, things have not been working out as I'd have hoped.

So, it is with bated breath that I announce that I am dumping Finn for someone else. Who is this mysterious new city that I have started to court, much to Finn's dismay?

The name's Don. Lon Don.

Yes, that's right, dear readers. In the new year I will be leaving my beloved city of Helsinki and making for greener pastures in the eternally loud and busy city of London. I will still be working for the same company, doing relatively the same thing...but more. There's no other way for me to put it.

I will probably be moving sometime around February, though the date is not set (I need to do a lot of arrangements beforehand, as is to be expected).

If you live in or around the city, be expecting to hear from me more! I would love to see some familiar faces in the scary large city that I will soon be calling my new home.

And, just for the hell of it, I am going to present my break-up letter to Finn here...as I feel it is only fair, now that things are official.

Dear Finn,

Thank you for all of the wonderful times we've had together this past year. Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that I don't think it's working out anymore and that maybe we should both go our separate ways.

Your inability to express anything but cold frustrates me, when I seek nothing but warmth and sun. I thought our differences could be metered out with humor, but it seems you don't know how to react in any way but silence.

I will say that I've enjoyed our time together, during the summer you were a blast, showing me your eternal sunshine, even if it was still a touch colder than I'm used to. Your odd humor certainly is original and I have loved getting to see everything from a different point of view.

But alas, it seems our differences are too great and I can't see a future for us anymore. Had I stayed with you long term it would have meant sacrifices that I was not willing to make, like giving up my love of sunshine, figuring out how to like salmiakki in a real way, and getting used to the fact that real food really just isn't accessible on a constant basis. The costs are just too high. Literally.

Being with you has taught me a lot, about myself, what I want in a future relationship, and where I want to go next. I harbor no ill thoughts of you and will always remember you fondly.

I'm sure we'll see each other around.

Yours fondly.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this. I love Randy Ego and Lon Don. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT, is totally genius, yes. Hahahaha, I am still laughing at Finn and Don, Lon Don, hahaha, very you. I wish you good luck in your new adventure (jealously waiting to read about your new life in the City) and I hope I can go and visit you one day on my way to Barcelona! Congrats again for the new job!

    ReplyDelete