Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Beef, it's what's for dinner

...or at least infrequently it is.

Beef is one of those things that's surprisingly difficult to get here in Finland. For whatever reason pork and sausage (more like hotdogs, rather than what I normally consider sausages, which would involve a casing with ground up meat inside) reign supreme here. One can also find chicken, but it involves marinade (almost always), and I am one who always cooks and marinades herself, so chicken has almost never been bought. Fish of course, is also major on everyone's menu.

So usually when I go out to eat (which is also infrequent, because it's so damned expensive here and there are few casual mid-range restaurants here), I usually get beef. I miss beef. As an American, beef is pretty stock standard. Steak is major, and well...I love me a good steak.

So when a near-friend suggested dinner last week, I accepted. When I saw steak was on the menu, I accepted even more.

What I got was a little different than I expected, though I will say my expectations were tempered.


Thin steak! What is this?!

It was literally like 1/4 of an inch thick (we're talking about 4 millimeters thick). I've never seen such a thin steak.

This didn't make it bad, mind you, just unusual. I'm used to thick thick steaks...the kind where you have to cut extra thin slices for yourself so you can actually put it in your mouth.

And admittedly I love to eat steaks incredibly rare, almost blue. I want to see the blood running all over my plate. Some people think this is horrendously gross and animalistic...but hell, that's just the way I am. I usually order it by saying something like, "if you could just wave it over the flames and give it to me that's good enough" or "if it's not still mooing, it's not rare enough." Just the way that I am.

Anyway, this one was surprisingly tender, and thankfully not overcooked. They didn't bother asking me how I wanted it cooked (no one has bothered asking me such things at any restaurant I've been to thusfar). It was just a little weird. But I still enjoyed it.

Generally speaking I don't think it's something I would order again. To be honest I just don't think I can really qualify this as steak in my mind. It just...doesn't count somehow. Sure it's still beef, but I dunno...it's like it's missing something from its essence. Some beefiness that should be there but isn't. I dunno, it made me feel unfulfilled, even though I was not hungry anymore.

And that made me a little sad.

Plus at 17euros it wasn't exactly cheap for what it was. The restaurant and decor was casual enough, but there was nothing particularly casual about this.

Sorry Bar9, but you will likely not be frequented again.

No comments:

Post a Comment