Friday, May 11, 2012

The spreckled hen goes to the cinema!

If you didn't previously know the depth of my love of nachos, from my last post this should have been made pretty clear. Connected to my love of nachos is my love of movies. All kinds of movies. But mostly horror movies, movies of questionable quality (i.e. bad movies), adventure movies, action movies, foreign movies, strange movies, and the occasional girly movie, should I be in the mood. There are two kinds of easily great nights for me - one that involves being heavily plied with amazing food and wine, the other being heavily plied with nachos and movies of my liking.

Last night I got to finally experience the latter, though unfortunately, once again, without the benefit of heavy nacho-age. This country seems almost completely lack of nacho. I've seen queso in the grocery stores so I know it's here but...well, anyway, that's for another post.

A couple of girlfriends and I went to see The Hunger Games. Or, as better known here, Nälkäpeli (which does, actually, translate into "Hunger Games"). This is pronounced, "nahl-kah-pell-ee":


Upon buying said tickets (which were not so exorbitantly priced at 10.50euros each, or about $14, so, standard Edwards pricing), we were asked to choose which seats we wanted. They do assigned seating! They have a little monitor that shows you the available seats for the showing you're going to, so you'll know right away whether or not you can sit with your party. So neat and organized. I was impressed. You can see our seating assignments printed on the tickets if you look hard enough (row 5, seats 7/8/9).

My friends wanted to visit the concession stand, so away we went. I had no clue what I was in for. The mecca of all concession stands. OMG do they take movie refreshments to a whole new level here:


Walls and walls of candies and savory snacks that you pick out and weigh yourself! Not to mention popcorn, icecream, slushies, sodas, normal individually packaged candy bars, chips...basically anything you could imagine in a grocery store snack aisle or convenience store. Holy crap! Thank god I had eaten dinner before coming otherwise I would have been going hog wild!

Can we enhance that photo? Yes we can!


Enhance further! Can we see whose face is in that reflection? (Okay, hilarious joke...mostly I just wanted to show the quality of snack therefore within):


I had some of the stuff my friends bought (I, being a dutiful Asian who had eaten dinner beforehand, abstained), it was FRESH! This ain't no po' quality stale snackage!

And this was just the tip of the iceberg. The theater itself was super clean and lush. This was no sticky-floor grubby establishment:


Plush, crushed red velvet seats gave your rear maximum comfort, while the standardized (very very tall) stadium seating ensured that your Nordic tallness would never block someone else's view of the screen. 

The movie itself was actually quite good. As expected (since I had heard before), there were Finnish subtitles at the bottom, but they were subtle, and appropriately only under the person who was speaking. What I wasn't expecting was the additional Swedish subtitles that were underneath the Finnish subtitles. Guess it makes sense in a bilingual country, I just hadn't thought about it. All of the signs here are like that, so it only makes sense. Something something legacy (this actually makes quite a few Finns angry, but there's nothing to be done about it).

As the movie played on and I enjoyed it in comfortable silence, I thanked the higher powers I had chosen a country that subtitles its movies instead of dubs. As if things weren't confusing enough for a spreckled hen in the wild! ^_~

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Could be worse, they could put Russian subtitles under - not only would that be 3 sets but that'd really upset the Finn's!

    This is two things; a test on the commenting, and to let you know I am writing correspondence as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! In Spain, just about everything is dubbed. So I actually watched John Carter dubbed in Spanish. They do occasionally have it in the original language, but they tend to be older movies like Grease or something. Yes, I've learned they like Grease here. I have to admit, I was amused when they showed Saturday Night Fever dubbed in Spanish over here. hehe Enjoy the movies with just subtitles, as dubbing is usually (practically always) awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least with the Spanish cinema you have a chance of understanding what's going on, despite terrible voice acting or otherwise bad lip-syncing. Pretty sure there is little chance of that in Finnish. O_O

      Delete