Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Drowning in musical eye candy

So okay, maybe my hiatus starts after this post instead. ...and maybe I couldn't stay away. ~_~ But the few day hiatus will be real after this! ...I'm pretty sure!

Anyway, something that has become a recurrence in my somewhat daily life as summer approaches is the discussion of music festivals amongst my friends. As the sun continues to set less and less each day, and we gain about 26 minutes of sunlight every week (yes, almost half an hour of MORE light each week!), everyone is starting to buzz about what kinds of summer activities one can get up to when the sun never sets and you feel like it's eternally three in the afternoon. My main answer: freakin' outdoor music fests.

Since I've arrived I've purchased tickets to three music fests already. I'm already considering a fourth and I'm wondering how long this can really be kept up before either 1) I run out of money 2) I collapse from utter exhaustion from attending these all-weekend-long events or 3) I get skin cancer from being out in the sun too much (my friends recently assured me that my recollection that the sun here was extremely low-UV was completely false). I ask the question one again with regards to the third point: will I actually start to look my age? O_O Terrifying thoughts.

In any case, I figured I would share the festivals that I'll be attending here, since I'll likely blog about them as they happen (and now, in order in which I'll be attending them):

Garden Party



Garden Party is a one-day concert with one of my newfound favorite female artists: Regina Spektor. Found on the (500) Days of Summer sountrack, she's a weird American singer from Russia who made it big. This concert will also have The Shins, or so I found out recently. Pretty dec. Nice way to start off the musical summer - nice and easy.

Summer of Sound




We kick it up just a smidge with Summer of Sound. Think Tiësto, Fredde Le Grand, and Armin Van Buuren. It's a three-day festival of electronica. All outdoors, in the middle of the summer. This is the time of year where the sun literally dips below the horizon and comes back up, never really setting. Pretty sure you just dance, look around, then dance some more. Hilario.

Flow Festival




And last, but not least, Flow Festival. This is an odd assortment of artists, truth be told. We're talking artists from Björk, to The Black Keys, to Feist. It also has others thrown in there like Yann Tiersen and Saint Etienne, just for tiddles and giggles. This one is actually a four-day fest, but it's broken up in a weird way (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday), so I'm only going on the Fri-Sun track.

And now for the one that I'm considering...because I'm just not sure I can resist:

Weekend Festival


Lamest name of them all, I know I know...but it has David Guetta and Skrillex. O_O I'm just not sure I can resist not going. It's in Espoo, rather than Helsinki (meaning I would be commuting like I would to go to work)...but on the plus I could leave directly from work on Friday to get there when it starts at 4pm. It's a two-day affair, since the good single-day already sold out and it would situate itself right after Flow Festival...

So people...do I dare? It almost seems a silly question. :)

Garden Party
Summer of Sound
Flow Festival
Weekend Festival

1 comment:

  1. OMG The Shins were quite probably my favorite set at Coachella! Absolutely awesome show, do not miss!

    ReplyDelete