Sunday, April 15, 2012

Snippit: Racism in the wild


I am not someone who enjoys thinking about bad things. My philosophy generally revolves around respecting other people and leaving the rage and arguments to someone else. I’d just rather go somewhere else and live happy. So with that, here is a snippit on some racism.

My Spanish teammate and I had just finished our long work day and were headed out to dinner. She was interested in trying German food, since we were in Germany and this was her first time in Berlin, so we crossed the park next to our hotel on the recommendation from our hotel’s barman (we’d stopped at him to grab a glass of wine before heading out for dinner), and hoped to find some local fare.

To keep things short, we were refused service at two German restaurants. This is the first time I’ve ever been refused service in my life, and I’ve been to more than a few countries, even on my own. Now, I have absolutely nothing against German people – I have German friends and they are lovely people. But unfortunately I have felt the sting of racism in this particular country and city before, so I was not shocked. Unfortunately my colleague was not so familiar with it and took it rather badly.

She went back to the restaurants and demanded to speak to the managers, collecting business cards from both. She’s told me she plans to blog about them and I think it’s appropriate that she do so. If you feel the need to do something about it as well, I can get the names of the restaurants from her and pass them to you.

It is surprising when things like this still happen, but they do. And that’s all I’ll say.

4 comments:

  1. That's awful. I didn't know that stuff like that still happens in Berlin. We were thinking about going to Germany (near the Rhine, etc.), but not Berlin, now I have more reason to not go to Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berlin is actually a wonderful place to visit - there is a lot to see and do, so hopefully this doesn't 'suade you to not go, but it is something to be aware of, I suppose. The rest of Germany (especially the west and south) are great. I've been all over Germany (Cologne, Munich, Augsburg, Hamburg, Nuremburg, etc) and it's lovely.

      Delete
  2. When you were refused service at these places did they give you a stated reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were ignored at first and when we were given attention we were treated very sarcastically and told that the place was full even though half the tables were empty. Things like, "Can't you see? The place is full!" were said.

      Delete